Monday, March 29, 2010

Unanswered Questions

I had a good 10 mile run today.  I ran 2.1 miles from my house to the YMCA where I finished it with another 8 miles on the treadmill.  It took an hour and 24 minutes.  At around mile 8, I started thinking about doing 13 miles until my wife came over and asked how much longer until we could leave.  The goal for today was 10 miles and I'm happy with it.  It's the farthest I've been able to run this year.  I logged 18 miles for the week even though I only ran 2 days. 

Like the rest of the running world, I'm reading McDougall's Born To Run.  I'm two days into it and about 2/3 of the way through.  I really love this book.  I'm not about to go off and try barefoot running though.  I have always had the most sensitive feet of anyone I've ever known.  What I'm gleaning from the book is just the simple joy that comes from running.  I'm finally getting back into the shape that allows me to have fun while running.  To the non runner, it's a feeling that is difficult to describe.  As I set out from my door this afternoon for the YMCA, I felt a calmness that mixed with playfulness.  The feeling is kind of like the one that movie and T.V. directors hope you experience when they show a young child's expression while running for fun.  There isn't much like the feeling you get when your body warms up and falls into a rhythm.  It's like you're suddenly gliding down the road and the surface consciousness that runs our daily lives slips away allowing you a glimpse of a deeper level.  As opposed to the quiet gentleness with which one entered this tranquil state of being, one erupts forth--forced out into the piercing light and monstrosity of sound like a baby from the womb.  Immediately one is overjoyed to have transcended this world, but also slightly saddened at being back. 

Lately, I've been wondering about how many days I should or could run.  Do I run 5 days a week or 3?  Do I follow a plan or just wing it?  I'm the type of person who likes a lot of structure.  I like knowing what I am supposed to do today, tomorrow, next week and next month.  I'll tell you a secret though.  I am enjoying just running for distance.  I have the desire to just set out and see where I end up.

I've missed all of my races this year, so I'm not actively training with a purpose other than to get stronger and faster.  I realize that, from my last post, it might seem like I've thrown in the towel concerning my plantar fasciitis, but that's not true.  I've begun taping my feet for more support.  I am stretching my achilles more than ever.  There's a part of me that says I should just go out and run until my body is hardened.  There's the other part that says I should take it easy and follow the 10% rule.

I guess time will tell which way I go with all of these questions.  My main goal with running has been to qualify for the Boston Marathon, and then to do ultras.  From what I've been reading, I think I've got the mentality of an ultra runner, but can my body keep up with my spirit?  

No comments:

Post a Comment