Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Vacation

As many of you know, intentions of running often fall by the wayside when on vacation.  I had planned on running two days on my trip for a total of eight miles.  I ended up running one day for a total of 4.33 miles.  I left for Disneyland on Wednesday morning.  We went to the parks on Thursday.  I woke up at 6 A.M. and was out the door 15 minutes later for my run.  The weather was in the 50's and felt really good.  We stayed at a hotel across the street from Disneyland so I ran around the perimeter of Disneyland.  It was really enjoyable to have something other than dirt to look at while running.  It was also fascinating to me to see the Disney workers--some leaving work and some arriving for work at 6:20 in the morning.  There were three or four other people also out for morning runs.  The run felt really good and took 37:20. 

I returned to the hotel room a little before 7:00 and showered.  I took my Ibuprofen, but didn't ice.  I got my kids ready and we were out the door and waiting in line for the 8:00 opening of the park.  I don't remember when my left heel started to hurt, but it was sometime that day.  We stayed at the parks until their close at midnight.  Basically, I was on my feet from 6 am to midnight--18 hours.  My heel hurt from Friday through Sunday.  We returned home on Monday.  I had planned on running on Tuesday, but was just too tired.  Today, Wednesday, I figured I would go for an easy run, but I did our taxes, and they took a good four to five hours.  It was too late to go for a run, so I'm now planning on running again tomorrow. 

I had applied for the Master's teaching program at the University of Arizona.  I had my interview a couple of weeks ago, and received the news today that I was among the forty people accepted into the program.  It's an intense program that begins in mid May, so I'm not sure how my ability to run will be affected.  I've never been an early morning runner, so I'll have to see if there is any time for me to squeeze a few runs per week into the schedule.  I'll know more once I get my actual schedule and see just how intense it is.  Anyway, with that concern off my mind, I should be able to be hyper focused on running.  I intend to take the training intensity up as I feel that there has been a lack of fire when I've toed the starting lines of these last two 5k's.    

 

1 comment:

  1. Super congratulations on getting into the Master's Programme! That sounds terrific, and it will just spur you on to more brilliant running. There is nothing quite like having a bout of intense academic work and then going for a run...totally different from 'normal' running. Good luck with the heel, hope it heals up nicely, and looking forward to more race reports!

    ReplyDelete