Saturday, May 29, 2010

16 Long miles

Last Saturday I did 8x400 meter repeats and then finished with 2x200 meter repeats.  It was a good workout.  Unfortunately, that was the last time I was able to run before today.  I had hoped to get 17 miles in.  As it turned out, I was only able to do 16 miles, and the last 4 were a grind.  I don't know if it was because I haven't been getting much sleep or not.  I woke up today and ate a piece of wheat bread with some water.  I then headed out to run.  I didn't have any gels this time and I sure missed them.  At the 9 mile mark, I was thinking that I could use a gel, and after 12 miles, I knew I should have brought some.  Miles 13-16 were such a grind.  My fingers were tingling and felt like they were going numb.  My heart rate was a steady 178.  I got through it and my legs hurt.  They really hurt--they felt like they did after the last marathon I ran.  This run was the complete opposite of the one I did 2 weeks ago when I felt like I could have run forever.  I couldn't have gone much further today.  Hopefully next weeks long run will be better.   

3 comments:

  1. Your long runs are sounding very good - with no trouble from the feet! Congrats, sounds like your training is going well.....keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. My long battle with feet problems seem to be solved. They've been replaced by achilles tendon and occasionally hip issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're my hero! Sixteen miles is great!!! I did 10 miles on Sunday and had to take 2 days off to recover!

    You have encouraged me to get back at it though! Thank you. I have a 10k race this weekend. Shouldn't be any trouble, but I'll keep you posted anyway.

    As for the cotton socks: Yeah, I have been running in cotton socks.... But I'll never do it again.

    ReplyDelete