Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A Rough 10 Miles

Here's a recap of the week.  Last Tuesday, I decided to do some speed work.  I settled on a 5k.  I went to the YMCA and warmed up with 1.5 miles.  The first mile of the 5k was done in 7:38.  I felt good, but wanted to hold back so I didn't blow it in the end.  I sped up mile 2, and finished it in 7:24.  Entering mile 3, I told myself that I would go faster and then try to hammer the last 800 meters.  Mile 3 was done in 6:58.  This wasn't exactly how I had planned it.  I felt okay after 2 miles, but after 2.5 miles, I was gassed.  There was no increase in pace for the last 800 meters--I just held on and maintained.  I was pretty happy until I realized that I still had .1 miles to go to finish the 5k.  After finishing the 3 miles, I was able to lower the pace to 6:52 for the last .1 miles.  Final time for the 5k was 22:18.  Not too bad.  Actually, that was my best 5k time of the year. 

I figured I would take a few days off and then do a long run of 16 miles on Friday.  Friday came and I was really tired.  Some of my kids have been sick and I really wanted to avoid getting sick too.  I opted to sleep in and hopefully build my immune system up.  Saturday came and went.  I was still really tired.  Sunday and Monday were the same.  I knew that I had a meeting at 12:45 today, so I would have time in the morning to get in my long run.  I put the kids on the bus and headed back to the sand river.  I got there at 8:00 and the temps were already in the 60's.  I was prepared for the heat this time.  I brought my Camelbak, handheld water bottle and put two 16.9 oz. bottles in the backpack.  Another difference from the last 14 mile run was that I didn't do it on a completely empty stomach.  This time, I ate a piece of raisin bread before heading over there.  I also used sunscreen and chapstick with spf 15.  I also brought some Hammer gels.  Last time, I didn't bring any of this stuff and paid the price. 

I set out on the run and after around 400 meters, I notice the weight of the Camelbak with all the extra water bottles and stuff in there.  It was digging into my shoulders and felt really heavy.  I ignored it.  I figured the weight would lessen as I drank the fluids.  The fist 2.5 miles felt pretty fast.  I should have slowed myself down, but I was a little concerned about getting back home in time to get ready before my meeting. 

At mile 3.86, a big problem came out of nowhere.  My stomach started feeling funny, and before I knew it I was dry heaving while running.  Yes, I take some pride in the fact that I didn't stop moving to vomit.  Because there wasn't anything in my stomach, nothing came out.  My stomach contracted around 5 or 6 times in anger, but it had no success.  This got me really concerned.  I've never had this problem before.  I didn't know if I needed more water or less.  Not knowing what to do, I kept moving forward.  After another half mile or so, I began to feel slightly better.  Right around 4 miles, I was running a hill and felt my calf muscle yell at me.  Like a barking dog, I hoped it would just go away if I ignored it.  I ignored it, but it didn't go away.  I decided to turn around after 5 miles hoping that I could lighten my load back at the car and continue on.  After 6 or 7 miles, I knew I wasn't doing any more than I had to and that was 10 miles.  Today's 10 miles was done in 1:36:39.  All in all, a disappointing run.  Some days, you just don't have "it".  I don't know what to do about the calf problem.  Maybe it was due to my carrying such a heavy load.  My posture wasn't as upright as usual.  I actually noticed myself leaning forward quite often.  I'll rest a little and see if it comes back.  I'll make more adjustments to the load I carry for the next long run.  Hopefully, I can try it again on Friday or Saturday.         

4 comments:

  1. Hey! Do you prefer the Hammer Gels to the GU Power Gels? I choked down a lot of foul tasting stuff trying to find one I could take. Finally settled on the Chocolate Outrage. If there is one that you particularly love, please share. I'd love to add some variety.

    How's your calf feeling today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was my first time trying the Hammer gels (chocolate). It was a lot thicker than I was expecting, and didn't have that sugary chocolate taste either. I can't really judge it though because my stomach didn't want anything in it at the time. I like GU gels, but usually use the Cliff gels. I guess I'm not really particular about what gel I use. I taped the achilles last night, and haven't noticed the calf at all. The AT is still tender though. I'm pretty sure the calf problem was due to the extra weight I carried. I woke up with, and still have, sore shoulders. I'm planning on another long run on Saturday, so I hope to be able to better evaluate the Hammer Gels then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post! Congrats on the 10 miles....last time I read your feet were just just starting to feel better. This is great news, and it sounds like it was a rough ride for your tummy. Echoing Sabrina, have you tried the Chocolate Outrage GUs? They are marvellous, and the only ones I can have....the others make me feel ill......Will catch up on your other posts too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this beautiful Article

    ReplyDelete