Sunday, August 22, 2010

I'm a runner again

Over the last 2.5 weeks, I've been building up my mileage.  I began with 2 miles a day and then moved up to 3 and 4 miles over the next two weeks.  Last Saturday's long run was 5 miles.  Today's long run was 10 miles in 91:12.  I guess I violated the 15% rule.  I did it on the treadmill because the heat and humidity are just too much for where my conditioning is at.  I read that you lose 100% of your conditioning if you don't do anything for 6 weeks.  I had somewhere between 6 and 8 weeks off and I believe that statistic.  The first week back was a real struggle.  I also believe in muscle memory.  The cardio conditioning may have gone, but the muscles still retain some memory of what they used to do.  I think this is what has allowed me to increase my mileage and speed so quickly.  I felt good during today's run, and had to stop myself from going further.  I really wanted to go 13, but I was already doubling my previous longest distance and didn't want to risk injury.  If things go well this week, I'll try for that 13 miles next weekend.  Hopefully, I'll get back to 20 miles again in 5 weeks or so, and then to 30 miles in another 5 weeks after that.  I don't really care about how far or fast I go during the week.  The only run I care about is the long run.  The only reason I'm keeping track of the other runs is to let me know how many miles I've put on my shoes.  Anyway, it feels good to be back. 

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, one never stops being a runner, I think we just have "days off" that last from 1 week to 1 year! Your hard work sounds awesome, and I am glad that you are at a good point. It will all come to fruition in the Autumn. Yes, it is really hard to come back after time off, and it takes time and effort to get to a good point as I too am finding out. But you did a good job! Happy Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to hear that, you are doing so good. Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everyone, I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete