Thursday, September 23, 2010

Introspection

We've all heard or been told that we need to listen to our bodies, but I think we also have to know our bodies. If your body is like mine, then you know that it lies. The trick is in knowing your body well enough to be able to figure out when it's lying to you and when it's telling the truth. We've all heard our bodies tell us we need to slow down or quit, but we overrode those messages and found that we were able to push farther or faster. When the body does tell the truth, we can usually figure that out pretty easily. If we try to ignore the truth, the body sends us a message through our pain receptors. These messages are generally scary enough to get our attention, and all but the most stubborn of us will end the run at that point. Those of us who continue after feeling the pain shoot through a body part are courting injury.

To complicate the issue even further, the mind sometimes gets involved in the discussion. I know that I often have conversations in my mind like there are two beings in my head. The conversation usually involves "the mind" telling me that I should slow down, quit, or question what I'm doing. The hard part is trying to figure out if you're listening to the body or the mind. I can tell that it's the mind speaking when it's telling me I should slow down or quit, but my legs and breathing are fine. In this instance, the body is silent because it's okay, so I know it's the mind that is speaking. When my legs are heavy or my breathing is labored, and the conversation in my head is turning negative, then it's pretty difficult to assess whether it's the body or mind doing the speaking.

I don't want to ignore those exceptional runs where everything seems to be in sync. The body is telling you that everything is good and it can go faster. At the same time, the mind is filled whith positive thoughts or images of finishing future races and accomplishing goals. Those are the days when you feel like you could run forever, and I often find myself running with a smile on my face.

I did another 2 mile run with Kody today. It took 24:23 this time. That's over a minute faster than his time last week. I think he may have some running ability.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like you and I had the same run last night. Two miles in 24 minutes. Except I took the dog instead of the boy. It was good.

    Congrats on getting your son out there again! That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Some running ability"?? He is only 8 and already he seems to run like the wind! I enjoyed reading this post, because this has been preying on my mind too. In fact, I often wonder how you and Johann can run in the heat and as hard as you do. In fact, it does seem that you have the tendency to ovveride those signals quite often. You also seem to be very much in tune with your body and your mind. Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your article ... All the best

    ReplyDelete