Monday, September 6, 2010

Respect The Heat

I didn't get a chance to run last week, so I had high hopes for today.  I woke up at 5:00 this morning so I could get this run in.  I woke up and there was no sunlight.  I ended up waiting until 5:55 for it to be light enough to leave.  I would rather leave while it's still dark, but I have to watch for snakes.  For some reason, I was expecting it to be cold when I left.  I checked, and the temperature was 82 degrees with 35% humidity.  For some reason, it didn't resonate in my head that this was going to be a hot run.  I figured I'd run outdoors since the YMCA was closed because of Labor Day.  I picked up one of those Gatorade pre-workout fuel packs.  It said to drink it 15 minutes before working out.  Counting waiting for the sun and the higher than expected temps, this was the third thing that went wrong today.  I brought my hydration backpack and no-grip handheld water bottle holder. 

Anyway, I set out expecting to do an easy 20 miles.  Right off the bat, things just didn't feel good.  I was going due East and running directly towards the sun.  I had gone 2.68 miles and was struggling.  I had a rock in my shoe at this point so I stopped to take it out and, along with the rock, my metatarsal pad also fell out.  This pad absorbs and redistributes the shock forces away from my metatarsals.  The pad sticks to the top of my insert and when it breaks off, it doesn't go back on.  I was really worried now.  The metatarsal problem was the root cause of all my feet problems way back when.  I decided to keep going, but to keep a close watch on it. 

I started again and noticed a wetness on my back.  My backpack was leaking water.  It's done this in the past and I hate it--you get what you pay for.  The backpack was digging into my shoulders and really irritating me.  At 5 miles, I decided to use a gel, and check my water supply.  All of the water had leaked out.  I was so disgusted with that backpack that I would have left it on the side of the road if it wasn't carrying my other supplies.  My stomach was hurting a little the entire way.  I never have stomach problems while running--I blame the Gatorade pre-workout stuff.  I kept expecting to be able to find a groove and settle in, but it never happened.  I trudged on into the sun.

Finally, at 10 miles I stopped at a convenience store and got a bottle of water, re-applied Body Glide to my toes, and put on a fresh pair of socks.  Hoping this pit-stop would energize me, I hit the road again.  My feet felt better, but I just couldn't get anything going.  It was a struggle.  I thought (numerous times) about calling my wife to come pick me up, but I hate to quit.  After a couple more miles, I was able to turn towards home and put the sun at my back.  After 14 miles, I stopped at a store and bought a Powerade.  At this point, I knew that I had around 3 more miles to go before I made it home.  I was so done that these last miles became like a death march.  I'd run the flats and downhills as long as I could, and then walk the inclines and hills. 

I made it home after a long, long 17.5 miles.  When I got home, the temperature was 93 degrees.  I don't mind admitting that the heat destroyed me today.  It beat me mentally and physically.  I don't view today as a total failure because I did not quit.  This is why I didn't give in and make the call to come pick me up.  I knew that I would take some pleasure in knowing that I finished. 

Oddly enough, I thought I'd be laid out for the rest of the day, but my legs actually felt pretty good after a couple of hours.  I saw 5 snakes today--4 dead and 1 alive.  The live one was only about a foot long, and I didn't see it until I was next to it.  Fortunately, it was a few feet away from me when I went by.

Today's totals: 17.50 miles  3:47:49.                  

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Frank, you are a rock star! This is a blood and guts kinda run, but you did it. I cannot even imagine running 20 miles in that kind of heat - last week I had a small taste of it, and it wiped me out. I don't think the heat beat you mentally - in fact, I think you managed the situation very well both mentally and physically. It might not have been the run you were hoping to have, but you played the cards you were handed very skillfully and tactically.

    Good job! but yikes, so many snakes?! Just little grass ones, or the special kind to be found in your neck of the woods? Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only snakes I've ever seen here are rattle snakes and bull snakes. Bull snakes look pretty much like rattlers except they don't have the rattle. Bull snakes are more mild mannered and eat rattlers. If you ever need a pick-me-up during a run, nothing is better than the adrenaline rush you get when you see or hear a snake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Frank! I had a very similar experience last weekend. Of course, I ran no where near 17 miles. Mine was 4.73 and I didn't realize until I was well into the run that it was 95 degrees outside and I hadn't brought nearly enough water. Thought I was having a cardiac episode at some points.

    Way to hang in there! I agree with Natalia. You're a Rock Star!

    ReplyDelete