Thursday, February 18, 2010

Repeats With A Snake

I've had a really good week so far.  I did an easy 5 miles on Tuesday and then did another 5 total miles on Wednesday.  I couldn't make it to the track, so I found a dirt road near my house and measured out 400 meters.  I did a half mile warm up and then dove into 4x400 repeats with a 400 meter jog in between each.  The workout was nearly over before it began.  I placed my water bottle next to some bushes on the side of the road, and then did my warm up.  I figured I would take a drink before I started the repeats.  While reaching for the water bottle, I noticed a snake coiled around a bush that was less than 6 inches away from my bottle and hand.  I quickly pulled my hand out and moved away.  I had forgotten that the weather in Tucson was in the mid 70's and snakes would be coming out.  I hate snakes.  They, along with the oppressive heat, are why I prefer to do most of my running on a treadmill. 

After regaining my focus, and keeping a keen lookout for the snake, I began the first repeat.  In another eye opener as to how much slower I am now than I was back in high school, I expected to do these repeats in 90 seconds. Back in high school, these would have been done in 70 seconds.  The first repeat was 143 seconds.  I was really surprised at how slow I was.  I managed to pick up the pace and lowered each successive time until the last 400 was finished in 87 seconds. 

I then moved on to 4x200 meter repeats with a 200 meter jog in between.  I don't know my times for these because both my Ipod and phone batteries died--this was an improvised run that I wasn't really prepared for.  I then finished the run with a 1.5 mile cool down. Other than the expected stiffness, I feel good today.  This week is the first where I really felt like I could have gone further.  On Tuesday, I felt like I could have gone at least 8 miles.  I just hope to keep improving.  I feel like a break out is very near.  I'm eagerly looking forward to a reunion with my endurance and speed.

I have an easy 4-5 miles scheduled for Friday, and then the 5k race on Sunday.  I'll check back in after that with the results and plans for next weeks vacation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment