Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Visiting The Doctor And Three NB Stores

I saw my doctor yesterday.  She didn't think I had a stress fracture, but sent me for an x-ray anyway.  She said that if I had a stress fracture in the calcaneus bone, it would show up on an x-ray as a dark or blurry spot.  I showed her my Superfeet inserts and she said I needed to get some with more heel cushioning.  The problem with that is that I have now grown to love the arch support that the Superfeets give.  The doctor also told me to continue my icing and stretching routines, but to also try 600mg of Ibuprofen immediately after I run.  I'm supposed to do this for two weeks and then taper to 400mg for the third week.  After the third week, we are going to re-evaluate where I'm at.  All this goes out the window if the x-ray is positive.

After I left the doctor, I resumed my search for an insert with a metatarsal pad, a cushioned heel, and a firm arch support.  I went to the New Balance store--not the same one that previously sold me the wrong sized insert.  They didn't have much of a selection.  Wouldn't you know it, they sent me back to the NB store that I had originally went to.  I went in and was looking for the ultra arch insert, but they didn't have it.  Only the pressure relief insert had the cushioning and metatarsal pad that I was looking for.  The problem with it was that the arch support is basically non-existent.  I checked the size and bought it anyway.  I left the store wearing my running shoes with the new inserts in them at 12:00.  I went to eat and to a store.  Along the way, I noticed that my right arch was really bothering me.  I loosened the shoes and adjusted them, but to no avail.  I got home and sat down at the computer for a few minutes before I couldn't take it any longer.  I took the shoes off and looked at the clock--it was 2:00.  I had only been wearing the new inserts for two hours.  I knew I had to return them.  There is a third NB store in Tucson, so I called them and asked if they had the sport cushion or the ultra arch inserts?  They said they had the sport cushion.  The Sport Cushion insert has some arch support, a metatarsal rise, and heel cushioning.  I exchanged the pressure relief inserts for the sport cushions.  They immediately reminded me of my custom orthotics except these have more cushioning in the heel.

I went for a run today in my newest NB inserts.  The bottom of my left foot was really uncomfortable from the metatarsal rise in the insert.  I thought it might go away as my foot got used to it.  After two miles, I had to stop and adjust the insert.  After 2.5 miles, I had to stop and loosen my shoe.  This seemed to solve the problem.  When one problem is solved, another pops up to take its place.  After three miles, my right arch felt like it was rubbing the lower part of my shoe.  I ignored it for another half mile, but didn't want a blister, so I stopped and made another adjustment.  I finished my planned 5 mile run feeling pretty good.  I was waiting for my son to finish his flag football practice, so I did some striders with the remaining time.  One thing I learned from the striders was that I don't have very fast leg turnover right now, and that means I'm not very fast.  I may try to run tomorrow to see if the inserts feel any better, but that'll be determined by how my body feels.  Anyway, I feel really good with how I felt during this run.  If I can get this insert thing sorted out, I think the future looks pretty good. 

I was thinking about my comeback and the struggles therein.  I realized that having been in good condition was a blessing and a curse.  It was a curse because, in the course of coming back, I remember how effortless it felt to run long distances fast (relatively).  My brain still remembers the way it was and can't process why it's so difficult now.  As I run, there are constant evaluations and conversations going on in my head--[Why are you breathing so hard at this speed?  You used to warm up at this speed and distance?  Wow, the legs feel really heavy.  They never used to feel like this.  Shut up, I'm on the brink of breaking through.  You can do it.  You'll get there.  Be patient.]  Yes, in my head, I talk to myself in the third person. 

The blessing part is that I also remember when I first started out and struggled to finish two miles.  I know that it won't be long before I am back to running the distances and speeds which I became accustomed to.  It's very easy to understand why new runners quit.  It's simply difficult to start and continue running.  The body isn't used to it and it doesn't feel very good.  Until you hit that certain conditioning level where things begin to feel easier and you begin feeling the health benefits from running, it's easier to quit than to stick it out.     
        

No comments:

Post a Comment