Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Trip to the podiatrist

So, I went to see the podiatrist today about my left heel, which still has some kind of sensation that should not be there.  I told him that the orthotic he prescribed for me was fine for short runs, but when I ran between 8 and 12 miles, I would feel shooting pains going up the back of my heel.  He must be an optimistic person because his response was "hey, great, we've got you able to go 8 to 12 miles, wow."  I guess when he saw that I wasn't enthused, he settled down and told me about "how the orthotic process can be a long one, but we'll keep at it and when we eventually get it right, it's right for a long time."  He then went over my options: taking the lift on the insert down, a shot in my heel, continued icing, stretching, and rest.  Being that I wasn't too keen on keeping the orthotics anyway, I decided that we could try to modify them again.  I assured him that I was stretching everyday and had been resting for a solid 2 1/2 weeks now.  As for the shot in my heel--NO, not today.  He tried to push the shot on me last time I was there also, to which I also turned him down.  He then tells me that I could take a series of pills over six days that would do the same thing as the shot--sign me up!

So, away I went to get my orthotics modified again.  The orthotics guy, came out into the lobby and asked me what the Dr. wanted him to do--not a good sign.  I explained to him and he basically told me that that wasn't possible--at this point I don't really care because I'm now 100% going with the NB insert anyway.  He does what he can, and I leave to drop off my prescription.  I get to the pharmacy and hand over the prescription.  The pharmacist quizically looks at it.  She asks me, "Is this a Z-Pack?"  I don't know what a Z-Pack is, so I say, (in my best Forrest Gump voice) "The Dr. told me it was a bunch of pills."  She looks at me and says in her soup nazi voice, "You come back in two hours".  I avoid eye contact and shuffle out.  Not wanting to upset the nazi (pharmacist), I don't come back for four hours.  I get my prescription home and open it up to see what magic beans it holds?  Lo and behold, It's a 6 day steroid program.  Immediately, I have visions of playing second base for the Yankees.  Jerked back to reality like Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction, I see that I must take six 4mg tablets for the first day and one less every day after.  Perhaps, I should have opted for the shot.  It's not that I'm afraid of needles.  I've had needles put into my eyes while awake and watching thinking about the old kid's rhyme--something, something, something, stick a needle in my eye.  I forget how it goes, but everyone remembers the last part because a needle in the eye was the worst thing imaginable.

I'll start the roids tomorrow morning.  I volunteer at my kid's school every Tuesday and Thursday morning for an hour.  I help two 2nd grade kids who are struggling to read.  I must say that most days I feel a high that is indescribable when I leave the school.  It really is fulfilling to teach young kids and see them improve.  Anyway, I hope I don't get all roid-raged and go Serena Williams on the kids when they make a mistake.  I think I'm going to wait and see how the steroid treatment feels before I start running again.  If it works as advertised, Comeback 1.0 (Sorry Lance) is in sight.     
        

4 comments:

  1. Hi there, I saw your post on runnerslounge and smiled! Good luck with the foot and hope things start getting better. I am training for my first marathon which comes up next month but alas I seem to have stalled somewhat. Anyway, I look forward to reading more posts, but off to work now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw your post on Runnerslounge. Good blog.
    All the best in achieving your 2010 goals.

    Hope to motivate and be motivated by you in running.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious post! Glad you dropped by so I could come over here. (I fixed my post for today as I think when you saw it, it was all kinds of wonky.) Aaaanyway, I hope the heel is better and the whole needle in the eye thing is super duper creepy.

    Volunteering at your kids school is about the cutest thing I have ever seen. I am sure those kids will remember you, even if you don't go all Roid-rage on them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments. I really appreciate them. I was wondering if my wife was going to be the only one who ever checked out my site.

    ReplyDelete