Thursday, January 28, 2010

Visiting Tucson's Fleet Feet Store

Tuesday, I went to my local Fleet Feet store for an insert and bought the Superfeet Green model.  I really hope this works.  I am so tired of trying to find the right shoe/insert/sock combination.  I just want to run!  I had a great experience at the store.  Antonio (the staff member I worked with) was friendly--without being fake--and knowledgeable.  I felt as though he was actually listening to me when I told him about my conditions and perceived problems.  I was so inspired by the level of customer service that I actually wrote an e-mail to the owner complimenting him and the staff.  This is something that I've never done. 

The owner actually wrote me back saying that he had spoken to Antonio about my visit.  One of my concerns with the Superfeet inserts is that they don't have a metatarsal pad.  The met pad is something that I became accustomed to and relied upon.  One of the things the store owner said in his e-mail was that they could modify the insert and add a met pad if I found that I still needed it.  I was very relieved to read this.  One other thing that impressed me was that they said I could bring the insert back for a refund or exchange at any time.  This was quite different from the New Balance store where they told me I had one week, and the insert had to be in new or re-sellable condition.  I was advised to wear the Superfeet insoles for around an hour a day to slowly break it in.  The insert has a plastic cover under the heel, which is very concerning to me as my orthotic had the same thing and caused my plantars bursitis.  There seems to be a little more cushioning in the heel of the Superfeet insole than there was in my orthotic--my orthotic had a thin layer of fabric over the hard shell.  I wore the insert in my running shoes yesterday for a few hours--I wasn't on my feet the whole time.  My left heel--the source of all my current problems--felt a little achy the whole day.  I'm assuming that was from the four miles I did the night before.  The course was kind of hilly and, as I became tired, my stride opened up on the downhills causing me to heel-strike even more than usual. 

Customer service is something that I usually don't pay much attention to.  Unless it's really bad, I just assume that that's normal.  If it's really bad, I don't say anything, but I never go back.  I assume that runners are a little different when it comes to running stores.  Runners tend to be very loyal when they find something they like.  I've been wanting to try the Injinji socks, but haven't had any problems with my Balegas, so I keep buying more.  I guess what I'm saying is that runners are loyal--loyal to brands as well as stores.  I would like to know whether this loyal streak applies to other areas of life such as marriage, restaurants we visit, vacation spots, driving routes, or what meals we make at home.  I wonder if married runners have lower divorce rates than non-runners? How about the couples where only one of the two are runners and do the stats change if the male is the runner versus the non-runner in the marriage?  Sounds like a good thesis paper to me.

In case you were wondering:  I have been married for 11.5 years.  My wife is not a runner nor an exercise enthusiast.  I eat at the same handful of restaurants where I typically order the same things.  At home, I pretty much make the same 10 meals every month.  Vacations are comprised of three destinations: Disneyland, Vegas, and San Diego.  Not having a good sense of direction, I always follow the same route.  Thanks to GPS, I have been freed from worry about getting lost, but still follow the same known routes.  Some might call me boring, but I say, "I'm loyal."  How about you?

In case anyone's interested, the Millrose games are on ESPN 2 on Friday night.

2 comments:

  1. Loyality is good when it comes to your friends, family, and marriage. However I dont think the road will miss us if we decide to take a different route or vacation somewhere else. As far as the food goes its taken me 11.5 years to get you to eat those 10 meals a month, it used to be the same 5 every week. I dont think it has a thing to do with your running because your father and grandfather were the same way when it came to where they went or what they ate. As far as the exercise thing goes, I will compare it to rides at Disneyland. I hate rollar Coasters because they have no point other then to get you somewhere fast, but if there is a point to the ride and it transports you out of reality for awhile then I love it. For example Indiana Jones vs. California Screaming. Just as with exercise it has to have a point. Running on a treadmill is torture to me. Where are you going? Running in a circle is almost torture to me as well. After one lap why go around again? Your only going to see the same things twice. However I do love hiking where I can see something new all the time, or dancing which is different every time and enjoyed with someone else. Swimming is fun too. (you hate all of the above) This leads me into the subjuct of what we have in common. LOL I'll save that one for another day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try this product!
    www.NuricheWell.com

    It's been a BIG HIT with marathon runners--thought I'd share.

    http://www.youtube.com/nurichegoodness#p/u/15/OSuplzv56Ys

    Id love to get your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete